[at-l] Unstinking Hiker Stink

I was talking to a non-hiker and mentioned the Hiker Stink thread.  They
reminded me of a couple of hints I gave them for a "state park", "base camp"
camping trip they took.  They said it worked for them and I know it works
for me; so I decided to post it to the list.  Sorry I did not do it during
the thread & if someone's already mentioned them.

1) Carry some baking soda.  Over the years I've found it handy.  I've even
mixed it with unscented Baby powder.  But usually I leave it unmixed.  A few
sprinkles in clothes and in areas that really "stink" (under arms, etc.)
really seems to help.  Sometimes I will mix it when I use with a bit of baby
powder.  But it is also handy to wash clothes and myself with & so I prefer
carrying a large baggie of just soda.  It also works great for cleaning
teeth and hair -- I always rinse.  Usually for clothes, I toss in some for
the cleaning cycle and some more during the rinse cycle.  It also seems to
work in sinks or portable wash bowls.  For personal hygiene, I put some on a
wet cloth and scrub myself and then rinse with an "unsoda" cloth.

2) Carry a wee bottle of vanilla.  It tastes great in food & in drinks.  But
it carries a nice scent that can mask HS.  It is an old "remedy" for stink
from the days when people did not have showers and did not take baths as
often.  Sprinkle on clothes.  Dab under arms and private places and at the
wrist.  I'm not sure I would use while on the trail since it might attract
bears and I don't want to smell like dessert.  But going in to town, or
catching a ride, it will help.

3) Get a "scrubbie".  Scubbie are basically those things like acme buff
puffs and pot scrubbers.  And they may all be the same thing.  Each color is
a different grade of "harshness".  Black is the harshest and white (as I
remember) is the softest.  I use to scrub and wax floors, and had "tons" of
various grades.  One day I read an article on how Indians use to wash
(before Steves and Springs wove washcloths).  So I used a white scrubbie.
It took some time to get really use to it, but I got to where I liked it.
It got rid of a lot of dead skin and various "stink bugs" and felt like a
good massage.  Again, it takes getting use to.  So if you use this
suggestion, start using the scrubbies before you go hiking.  Also,
janitorial maint. people may have left-over centers from buffing pads.  They
often throw them away.  If you know anyone like that, they may be willing to
save them for you.  Or you can go to the dollar store and buy some of the
cut up pads they sell for pots and pans.

4) Get one of those soap drainers that has what looks like a forest of
fingers on both sides.  Barbers use to sell this scalp scrubber that is
almost the same thing.  The only difference being that theirs had a loop on
one side to slip a finger through.  But, I've found dish drainers work just
as well.  And they work really well in cleaning hair.  Plus you get the side
bennie of a scalp massage.  And I have found that it gives a great body
massage in or out of the shower.

William, The Turtle

William "Bill" Neal
Airport Library -- AC 237