[at-l] Re: gear lists

sean -
Just a few comments to add to your collection --

>Wickable Long underwear shirt EMS/Polypro Shortsleeve Shirt/Northface
>Windproof vest
That's a lot to be wearing at one time.  Bet some of it'll end up in the
pack before the third hill.  Naaah - make that the second hill.

>Ventigator Gaiters
Used gaiters for a while on the AT - then learned better and haven't used
them since except for deep snow.  They overheat my feet and lower legs.  But
some people love them.  You'll figure it out for yourself.

>TOP COMPARTMENT (easy access during day)
>Bandanas (3)
I use 1 very large bandanna (actually a military triangular bandage).  It's
my bandanna, towel, pot holder, mop, sweat band, sometimes hat, etc.

>1 Pack Waterproof Matches/Lighter
Waterproof matches aren't.  Light anywhere matches don't.  Dump the matches
and carry a spare lighter.

>3 AAA Batteries (replacement for Headlamp)
Unless you're planning on night hiking, dump the spares and put them in your
bounce box.  I changed to fresh batteries twice in 6 months - each time the
old batteries were still good - I was just being paranoid.  You're not
likely to need to change them in the first week or so. And if they do die -
it's not a disaster.

>4 AA Batteries(replacement for camera)
How long do camera batteries last?  How many pix will you take?  If you can
fill your available memory with the batteries that are in the camera, then
the spares are a waste (dead weight).

>Roll of twine
I haven't found a use for twine on the trail in 10 years.  Why?
But take 50' of paracord.  You might find a lot of uses for it.  Like
bearbagging, minor repairs, replacement for broken shoelaces, etc.

>MAIN COMPARTMENT (moderate access day / night)
>Helly Hansen Rain Pants Northface Wickable Long sleeve shirts (2)
I've used the convertible pants for the last 10000 miles for rain, snow,
hail, stream fords, wet brush, etc - rain pants are just dead weight for me.
  Two shirts is at least one too many.

>Fleece Sweatshirt -
Huh?  Why? You've got a long sleeve shirt, long underwear, a vest, a short
sleeve shirt and a rain jacket.  If you're that cold, climb in the sleeping
bag.  Actually, I might dump the vest and keep this now that I think about
it.  I kept a fleece pullover all the way to Katahdin.

>Stuff Pillow
Make a pillow out of your spare clothing and sleeping bag stuff sack.

>Northface Cat's Meow 20 degree Sleeping Bag
20* is a good choice.  Have a lighter bag sent to someplace after Mt Rogers
and then have this one sent back to Glencliff, NH.  You'll probably need it
in the Whites.

>Food Stuff Sack, containing: 11 lbs of Food for 5.5 days
Why 5.5 days?  Even if you're first drop is Neels Gap, that shouldn't take
that long.

>Roll-on deodorant
HUH!! I know Gypsy kept hers - but if you REALLY want deodorant why not put
in your bounce box.  It really doesn't help anything on the Trail.
In fact, it can hurt - deodorant works by closing the pores and stopping
your body's perspiration mechanism.  You REALLY don't want to be doing that
while you're hiking.  If your body overheats, it also gets less efficient.
You don't need that.

>MAIN COMPARTMENT INTERNAL POCKET (infrequent access)
>phone AC Adapter
If you think you need it (the phone) put the adapter in the bounce box.  As
someone said, not many shelters have active AC outlets.

>3 ATM / Credit Cards
Why 3?  Don't take any more than you have to.

>3 personal checks
Your choice but I think you'll find the credit card and cash a lot more
useful. We also used Travelers Checks.

>Medical Ziploc,
Much too much.  Try this -
2 Gauze Pads, 4 Band Aids, 2 single-use Neosporin pack, 2 packs moleskin
Small roll of tape, Small scissors (for moleskin - don't be cutting those
blisters), Needle (for draining blisters), 2 pairs contacts, 1 Ace bandage
(for the knees)

>3 condoms (you never know)
Hmmm - a real optimist, aren't you?  If you really want them, send them at
least a week up the Trail.  Ain't nobody (including you) gonna be interested
for the first week or more.  You'll ALL be more interested in food, Advil
and sleep.  After the first two weeks, all bets are off  :-)))

>Gear Repair Ziploc, containing PUR filter lubricant 2 Pack / Tent Swatches
>3 small circular adhesive patches 1 large rectangle
>adhesive patch 1 swatch no-see-um netting 1 replacement bootlace 1 small
>compression strap 1 small roll duct tape 1 tent pole splint 4 medium
>plastic band 1 glue stick 4 Alcohol Prep Pads 1 small vial of pins 1 large
>safety / diaper pin 1 small tube seam sealer 1 medium plastic clip 1 spool
>course thread 2 assorted buttons
Stuff it all in your bounce box.

>Accessory Pack (easy access) Daily Toiletries Ziploc, containing: DEET
>Bug Repellent
Bet you won't need that until at least Virginia - maybe Mass.

>2 small waterproof Journals
Take 1 journal and 2 pens

>Strapped to outside of Pack / External Pockets Whistle (hooked to
>accessory pack zipper)
Never did find a use for the whistle - but it IS your weight to carry.

>2One Liter Nalgeen Bottles (1 hanging on left side compression strap, 1 in
>bottom right pocket)
We use 1 liter soda bottles.  Just threw one away last week (Mt Dew) - we'd
been using it for over 2 years (southern 700 miles of the CDT, all of the
CDT - and another 8 or 9 hundred miles in between).  Lighter, cheaper,
ultimately disposable.  Gatorade bottles work well, too. Only reason for
carrying Nalgene is as a hot water bottle to warm the bag at night or to mix
hot drinks in - but use Lexan if you're gonna do that.
Nalgene is heavy.

>1 Full UltraLite ThermaRest (strapped to bottom compression straps)
Hmmm - 3/4 Ridge Rest.  Use rain gear under your feet if it's cold.  But
again - it's YOUR weight to carry.

>Front Panel Pocket (easy access) Two Liter Platypus (empty)
This year - definitely take it.  And use it.  It's gonna be a dry year no
matter what happens between now and Sept.

>AC Adapter
I missed something - thought you had that someplace else.  Bounce box.

>Bottle attachment
Unnecessary weight - leave it home.

>Replacement water filter
Bounce box.  Carry iodine tabs as a backup.

You asked  :-)))

Seriously - you're welcome to whatever you want to carry.  It's your weight
and your back and knees.  Whatever you start with, you'll learn along the
way and adjust.  You're not starting with that much pack weight that it'll
be dangerous - I've known people who started with 70 - 85# packs.  And at
least one who started with 100#.  Most of them learn.  Some of them don't -
most (99% ??) of those go home.

Whatever you carry - have a good walk and come back to let us know how it
went.

Walk softly,
Jim