[at-l] Poles

One correction.  The bottom section of the three section pole only tapers for
approx the last 1/3 of its length.  You should be able to lock it in anywhere
along the top 2/3 of this section and not experience any play.
I also subscribe to the "weakest link" theory.  I adjust the middle section to
within 5 cm of "Stop" and then adjust the bottom section until the pole is the
desired height.
As for dirt and grit, it seems to me that if the bottom and middle sections are
locked in you have and equal chance of getting dirt and grit in either section.

Steve - not an engineer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once