[at-l] Cost and weight of kitchen

As an offshoot of some of the recent discussion on Wood stoves I did the =
following quick check of cost and weight.  These are representative, but =
only a spotty sample.

Assumptions:  Assume you buy your stove for a thru-hike and then keep it =
for 4 years.  Thru-hike=3D180 days and the rest 50 days/year =3D 380 =
days.  I know if you are careful it should last longer but by the 5th =
year you probably want the latest solar power nuclear zoom stove anyway.

Fuel: I boil water twice a day.  I know my canister (butane) lasts about =
30 days.  I estimate 2 Esbit cubes/day and 8 oz. of white gas or alcohol =
would last also 30 days.  Please fill in the missing numbers if you =
will.  Cooking time will make a big difference here.

Cost:

Stove:  These are all current Lists prices from the REI web site.  OF =
COURSE you got it on sale for half this price, but these prices are at =
least consistent.

Zip wood burning stove ($49.95) $.13 per day.
MSR Pocket Rocket butane ($39.95) $.10  per day
MSR Wisperlight white gas ($59.95) $.16 per day
Esbit ($9.95) $.025 per day
Trangia 28-T alcohol ($29.55) $.08 per day

Fuel: REMEMBER this depends on how you cook.  I'm assuming 2 boils a day =
which is what I do. YMMV.  Some of the consumption numbers are =
guesstimates.  SORRY I don't use all these fuels.  Send corrections.  =
Prices from REI.

wood - free
butane - $.14 per day
white gas $.10 per day
Esbit (2 cubes) $1.00 per day wow!!
Alcohol (2 oz.) $.23 per day

Weight:

Zip plus wood - 15 oz. (Wood assumed zero.  Weary: add 16 oz for =
carrying it 10 miles <grin>)
Pocket Rocket 11 oz (3 oz. stove plus 8 oz average half full canister).
Wisperlight - 21 oz (13 oz stove plus 8 oz fuel)
Esbit - 9 oz (3 oz stove plus 6 oz (12 tablets))
Trangia 20 oz. (12 oz. stove plus 8 oz. fuel)

Weight for the liquids assumed a half full container.

PLEASE don't kill me with nit picks.  This is meant to be a quick =
comparison.

CONCLUSIONS:

Price: Except for Esbit fuel, these prices will not affect anyone's =
ability to do a thru hike, and the Esbit price won't affect most of us.
Weight: All in the same ball park within about a factor of 2 or so. =
REMEMBER Cooking style will affect the weight of fuel carried.

So it was fun looking these numbers up, but bottom line is, Hike your =
own hike, Cook with your favorite stove.

Now let us know about the 1 oz stove that boils water in 45 sec, costs =
$1.99 and uses rainwater for fuel.  We're all eager to hear about it =
<grin>.

Pb

multipart/alternative
  text/html