Re[2]: [at-l] Poisoning wildlife and other remarkable suggestions....

On 25 Feb 2002 at 18:03, L. Parker wrote:

> >  Cooking hint: Mint goes well with most animal critters,
> > especially lamb. When
> >  ever I see a gentle mouse, I think of it as sort of a
> > diminutive lamb. I
> >  haven't tried mint sauce with mice, but I'm sure it would
> > work. You mouse
> >  killers need only boil a cup full of mint leaves with a bit
> > of sugar to create
> >  a marvelous sauce to go with your trail meat.
>
> Of course, mouse MUST be cooked until well done to insure that any possible
> critters are quite dead. The mint sauce will help improve the flavor of the
> resultant mouse jerky....

Check out "Never Cry Wolf," a book by Farley Mowatt.
Also made into a movie by Disney, I believe.  There's
a scene in which a researcher prepares for himself a
dinner of field mice, in order to prove a theory about
the predatory habits of Alaskan wolves.  A good read,
well beyond this one scene.

Mowatt, by the way, has the neat distinction of having
been "banned" by some Reagan-era bureaucrats for
his pro-environmental writings.  I'm remembering this
from dim memory, details are hazy (about the banning,
that is.)

rafe b
aka terrapin