[at-l] Olive oil, was: Freeze Dried food questions.

Rcli3@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/25/2002 3:53:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> askowronek@mindspring.com writes:
>

>     You do need some fat in your diet.  Where would you suggest it come
>     from?
>
>     -amy
>

> Yes, you needs some.  The original post said 20 ounces a day.  My
> thought was that 20 ounces of fat a day may be excessive.  My Dr. says
> 20 grams a day is probably more than a normal person would need.  Thru
> hikers could use considerably more but I think 32 times recommended
> daily dosage is excessive.  Besides I think the question is mute.  By
> the second day one would discontinue hiking in favor of sitting on the
> toilet.

Ah.  I had missed the "ounce" part of that discussion.

20 grams a day is really not that much fat.  Many people would feel very
deprived on that little even during a normal day.  I've been on an
excessively low fat diet before, and I can tell you that after a while
the need for fat becomes a serious motivational factor.  (In this
case, 2-6 grams of fat per day.. and not because either my or my doc
wanted it that way.)

Agreed on the last part of your post.  :)

-amy