[at-l] Scanning Question

At 08:56 PM 2/23/02 -0600, L. Parker wrote:
> > Ya'll have very different takes on this... first, to clarify
>
>Sounds like we went further afield with the question than you really needed.

I've been giving this more thought and I'm now thinking that we haven't
gone far enough afield because we have been locked into the idea of using a
scanner which requires contact between the original and the
scanner.  Perhaps what you really need is a photographer who is experienced
in flat copy work.  Here's why:  The size of your originals is too big for
anything but a commercial scanner and it's larger than anyone can print at
home from a downloaded file anyway (at this point I ask that everyone who
has a printer on their home PC that can print 14×17 please raise your
hand).  See what I mean?  No hands going up.

So the real problem is how to get the full image of each 14×17 map into one
file with the least expense and problems and the resulting file size needs
to be printable by the average Joe/Jane at home.  Any photographer who has
experience in making copy negatives from flat material can do this on film
and by copying through a lens can get it all in one frame easily.  If you
search around maybe you can find one who has a digital camera and can go
direct to a digital file.  If you can't find one who can give you digital
output, settle for negative film, get 8×10s made and scan them at
home.  Voila!  You can easily make 2 scans of each, one at 72 dpi with
dimensions to fit a browser window and a second at 300 dpi with output
dimensions of 8×10.  Anyway, that's the route I'd take, how you decide to
go is up to you.

sAunTerer