[at-l] Scanning Question

On 23 Feb 2002 at 8:24, L. Parker wrote:

> Each 14 x 17 map would occupy around 100 MB of space assuming 24 bit color
> and no compression. Unless the computer has a 100 MHz or faster front side
> bus and at least 1 GB or memory (the chip kind) it would be a nightmare
> simply trying to open one of these files.

Again - you overstate the case a bit.  I routinely scan
6 cm x 4.5 cm negatives at 4000 dpi (Nikon 8000
film scanner) yielding image files that are 170
MBytes at 24 bits.

These are handily manipulated in Photoshop on a
1.6 GHz AMD-based PC, with 512 Mbytes of DDRAM.

It takes about 30 seconds to open one of these
files in Photoshop.

rafe b.