[at-l] Permethrin application question

> here and there.  DEET is one of those products that has been "tested"
> extensively on the population for several decades and has not yet >found to
> be dangerous to use in spite of warnings and suspicions of toxicity.

Ron, not to start an AT-L flame war, but I am always uneasy about statements
such as above. There may BE long-term effects. DEET is just one of many new
chemicals in which we are immersed.

There are documented increases in pancreatic cancer, liver cancer and also
auto-immune problems in the population at large. It is an impossible task to
sort out which compound did what, or if the effect is synergistic in
combination with other chemicals, or if the sheer weight of the assault is
problematic, or what.

The truth is, we just don't know.

This is not a "chemicals-bad" knee-jerk thing. I am not counseling against
the use of DEET either.

 Just advising caution in using such dismissing statements as the above. The
effects may be long-term and difficult to discern. Even the labels of the
products advise certain cautions, so there IS some toxicity at a certain
level.
That said, when you write:
> I carry a small bottle of 100% and just smear a drop or two
> here and there.
this is sound advice that minimize exposure, maximizes effect.