[at-l] DEET

"... I carry a small bottle of 100% and just smear a drop or two > here and
there," reports Ron.

 "this is sound advice that minimize exposure, maximizes
effect," replies Jan.

  Just some facts. Deet works by contact. Most bugs don't recognize that skin
  smeared with DEET is a source of human blood. Dabs here and there that leave
  other skin exposed does nothing to prevent ticks and other things from
  attacking that exposed skin. I think dabs probably have more psychological
  than real effect.

  My technique is to smear a drop or two on the palm of my hands and rub my
  hands over all exposed skin and as much of the back of my tee shirt as I can
  reach. I find the thinest smear works as well as soaking the skin. I then
  rinse off the palm of my hands with water to prevent accidentally eating the
  stuff.

  At home I sometimes have my wife spray the back of my tee shirt while I hold
  my breath. I never use spray on the trail because I don't like to breathe the
  stuff and because the spray cans are unnecessary weight and bulk.

  1993 was a dry year, but I find the problem of bugs greatly exaggerated on the
  AT. I used a half empty 1.5 ounce container of 100 % DEET and had some left
  when I got to Katahdin after six months.

  DEET has been used for 40 or 50 years, but Jan is right, there may be subtle
  long term effects, that no one has noticed. But OB is also right, except for a
  handful of instances involving mostly excessive use on young children, I have
  never read of a medical study that showed adverse impacts.

  I'm suspicious of all chemicals, especially those that mimic human hormones.
  The only pesticide I use in my garden is BT, a natural bacteria found in the
  soil.

  But I don't like bug bites and I'm wary of Lyme and other bug transmitted
  diseases, so I use DEET almost daily during the bug season.

   WEary