Fwd: [at-l] The Re[2]: [at-l] The Government and The Environment - TOTALLY OFF TOPIC!

"...I think you might want to define precisely what you think is "superficial" -
and why," urges Jim.

I been around elected politicians most of my life. I've even been one in a very
small way.

 Every one of us were chosen by the voters, based on what I continually thought
 were probably superficial reasons. The best self governance requires more
 effort than most voters are willing to devote.

  Because of this voter indifference, politicians are not the wisest, and most
  knowledgeable members of society. I used to be appalled by how little some of
  them knew about the issues they were charged with deciding. But I was also
  impressed with their general dedication, devotion, hard work and sincereity. I
  don't know much about Louisiana, but Shane was talking about politicians in
  general.

  Most in my experience do not fit Shane's cynical view. Most work hard,
  struggle with the issues, and try to do the best they can for a largely
  indifferent electorate. It's the nature of humans to have differering
  opinions. That's no reason to claim as Shane did that government prodded by an
  alert citizenry cannot be trusted to improve the environment.

  His claim that:  We complain about loggers, but live in wooden houses..." is
" bizarre hypocrisy" is superficial. You can harvest wisely and in ways that
maximize the resource or you can rape the land for immediate profit and destroy
future productivity.

To claim that "... government, in my opinion, is the least capable entity for
protecting the environment, since - in the end - the government is for sale to
the highest bidder..." is superficial. Government is the only agency that can
protect broad  public resources like water, air and land.

  Voters use such cynicism as an excuse for laziness. Cynics are part of the
  problem. I know when voters take an interest, a majority of politicians will
  usually (... well at least sometimes and eventually) make good decisions.

  Weary