[at-l] pittsburgh 02/19/02 1040am

my suunto escape 203 handy dandy altimeter, which i keep strapped around my left wrist, indicates that it is 45 degrees out.  the day is bright and sunny, with no (zip, zero, nada, nyet) clouds.  gotta be careful that this cueball of a head doesn't get burned<g>...

i guess i'm feeling chatty today.  even though i am hiking alone, i can feel all of you out there.  so, as i write, i write to you.  it is quite a virtual comfort...

i am about a mile into the hike now.  there was some ridgeline walking, and another ascent.  the map indicates a gently rolling ridgeline walk for the bulk of my hike today...

regulating my body heat has turned out to be fairly easy,  my gloves/mittens either completely cover my hands, or i can roll back the finger covering to expose my fingers, allowing for some heat loss, or i can take the gloves off completely, allowing for significant heat loss through my palms.  my pull down hat completely covers my scalp, forehead and ears.  i can uncover the ears for heat loss, or take the cap off for much greater heat loss through my bald frigging head<g>.  and of course i can unzip the fleece, or remove it, and also unbutton the shirt for torso heat loss.  i think i will not be suffering any hyper- or hypo-thermia...

snack time, then back to hiking...

pittsburgh

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.