[at-l] Do hiker have more humanity? was "women's" issues

When we hiked the trail in 1999 we always felt that the hikers were in =
general a lot different from the general population.  Rather than go on =
about it. Here are 3 extracts from the journals of 3 other thru hikers =
in 1999.

PA (MA & PA 99)

The first two were written while they were staying at Hot Springs, while =
the one from  SINGLE MALT  was written sometimes later.  These pieces =
echo our feelings for the people and the lifestyle. Enjoy!=20
*****
SLIPPER

Extract from her journal=20

I never, never expected to tap into such a vast range of emotions. I =
realize, perhaps for the first time in my life, that I am both utterly =
vulnerable and, on the other end of the spectrum, surprisingly capable =
of fending for myself despite the odds. I've found, too, that no much as =
I enjoy the company of so many new-found friends on the trail, my hike =
is actually an incredibly personal endeavour. I can't emphasize enough =
how much I value the amazing, treasured camaraderie amongst most of the =
thru-hiker community. I would even liken it to a family. I've made some =
wonderful friends out here. Yet I still do most of my walking alone, and =
find my greatest peace in doing so. I almost always tent instead of =
shelter for the same reason. I'm learning how to watch myself from =
within instead of from the eyes of others. Out here there are no =
performance reviews, no judgments, no responsibilities other than those =
I place upon myself. And it interests me & pleases me that my actions do =
not diminish me in any way amongst these people. I guess that's what =
everyone means when they say "hike your own hike." No matter how odd or =
even you go, your approach is never questioned. It's universally =
understood that no matter what your miles are, no matter what you carry =
on your back, no matter what your belief system is, what your budget =
allows, whatever, you're an integral piece of the mosaic of hikers, as =
lowly or lofty as you choose to go. I would never say that this trek is =
an ideal world; far from it. But I will say it's a simple world, one =
where necessities and complications are pared to a minimum.=20
************
RAINDANCER

Extract from her journal

This is a beautiful place. I can see how it would be tempting for a =
person to get stuck in Hot Springs. The easy going, not time mentality =
of this town is contagious. I have to get out tomorrow morning or I will =
be looking for a house. I like it here, but I have a hike to do. I'm =
finding peace out here. the kind you see rarely, and only on the Grizzly =
Adams movie. There must be 30 hikers in this town. Everybody is out here =
for their own reason. It's great to sit with people so different and yet =
so similar and talk about life. I'm learning a lot about people. It's =
funny but in real life we have few friends and we don't realize how out =
of practice our social skills are. Out here you make first impressions =
all the time and then proceed to develop a relationship with each =
person. I don't think I've listened this much in my entire life. There's =
something about this trail life that I like. I've got a peaceful easy =
feeling that I want to keep for the rest of my life. What can I do to =
make sure it doesn't go away when I'm done with this trip?
***********

SINGLEMALT
Extract from his journal at http://users.erols.com/johndsc/welcome.htm

It is unique here. Bonds form quickly and strong. You may see another =
hiker for a day or two, and never see them again, or run into them a =
month or two down the road. There is no selfishness here. Everyone is =
willing to share everything they have, and to help another in anyway =
possible. We look out for one another and ask nothing in return. There =
is no such thing as lying, cheating, or stealing. There is only the =
common goal of pushing North, the experience of shared hardship, and the =
peace and pleasure of conversation after a hard day, spoken quietly so =
as not to disturb the peace of the night in the forest, and the ceremony =
of cutting your last Snicker bar into 7 equal pieces so everyone can =
have some. This may be what God meant for society to be like.=20

http://hikers99.homestead.com/chap13hot.html

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---