Re[2]: [at-l] Uncle Johnny's Hostel in Erwin

In '93 I stayed at a campground on the river near Erwin, which was nice, but
marginally expensive. It really was a pleasant stay. I spent an extra day to
read a biography of Thomas Jefferson.

I know nothing about Uncle Johnny. But I do know that no one who offers housing
and services to hikers makes much money from so offering. We truly are a bunch
of scrounges. Few of us start with an abundance of money. We all have taken a
six month leave from our normal life and most of us try to minimize our walk's
costs to ourselves and those we have left behind.

 People who offer services are mostly either very dedicated to the trail or very
 desperate for a few scraps of income, or just nice people, or just silly
 people.

 In all these instances, hikers should appreciate what is offered and recognize
 that as in most human enterprises, we get what we are willing to pay for. And
 that sometimes we have to pay more because those who came before us failed to
 recognize these truisms.

 Weary