[at-l] electronic maps

On 13 Feb 2002 at 21:27, Clark Wright wrote:

> To me, the most awesome stat. of all re the AT is the fact that walking
> from end to end is the vertical elevation equivalent of climbing Everest
> about 16 times - 16 times!  And, yet, the "average" grade is less than
> 5%; just goes to show that Mark Twain was right about statistics:
> "There's lies, damn lies [oops - sorry for the bleep word, but in the
> interests of authenticity, I left it in! :)] - and statistics! :)

I imagine also that figure includes Everest's elevation from sea level
(~29,000 feet) rather than the distance that most folks actually climb --
since base camp is up around 18,000 feet.

I tell "lay" people it's about 6000 feet of vertical per hiking day --
3000 up and 3000 down.  'Zat sound about right?

rafe b.