[at-l] Uncle Johnny's Hostel in Erwin

I heard things similar to this all up and down the Trail about a lot of things, not just Johnny's.  And then I would hear or experience just the opposite.  When it came to other hikers' perceptions about the Trail ahead, the service providers along the Trail, the weather, and a host of other things, I took them with a sweat sandwich and a side of toe jam.  That's about how much they were worth.

Doubting Balls

David O <o123david@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I started hiking northbound from Springer on New Year's. A southbounder left
messages in at least two registers and told me personally some bad things
about Uncle Johnny's Hostel in Erwin, Tennessee. He accused the person who
runs the hostel of being an alcoholic, dangerous, abusive, thief.
The purpose of this message is to tell the list that neither the ATC nor the
Erwin post office is aware of any problems. I did not see any problems
during the other two times I stayed there. I do not believe that any of
these accusations are true. And I think that hurting people like John Shores
who do so much to help the trail is a terrible thing to do.
Misinformation has a way of appearing out of nowhere and passing along the
trail grapevine. When rumors such as this appear it is best to check with
the ATC. The ATC's number is 304-535-6331.
Try not to pass up a great place to stay.
BostonDave
GA=>MA '02