Re[2]: [at-l] Lekis and global warming

Oh yes it is. You have cut straight to the heart of the matter. The
difficulty of assigning relative risks and benefits of a technology -
whether it is lug boots, Leki's, electric dryers, SUV's or hand guns.

We determine such things on a person basis as well as on a societal
one. Concensus doesn't imply unanimity or accuracy.

For instance - which would damage the trail more - Leki's as currently
used with out rubber covers, or EMT's and stretchers to aid evacuations
of hikers following falls and fractures?

Who knows? We all have certain good reasons to suspect our personal
answer is correct. I think that the smart ones have good reasons to
reserve doubt until more facts are available, unless harm can be
quickly and generally established. We aren't there - but it sounds as
if we are close to such knowledge.

Bill...