[at-l] A Mountain to Climb

Friends,
You'd think a 13 yo child who lost everything to an apartment fire =
started by a candle would learn something from the experience, but then =
again, she wasn't negligent in 1996. In 2002, however, she left a candle =
burning last Friday. I'd just returned from visiting DutchTreat and =
Hummingbird this afternoon, unloaded the car, when I smelled burning =
plastic. Investigating, I found soot and smoke pouring from her door. I =
grabbed the fire extinguisher, but could not enter the locked door. I =
called 911 some four hours ago. Our wonderful firemen responded in less =
than 10 minutes. The fire, confined to her desk, would have burned much =
hotter and could have spread to other apartments, but for her locked =
door. (About two weeks ago she had her room trashed by a "friend" whom =
I'd let in). I'm grateful no one was hurt, that the damage was confined =
to her room in our apartment. She promised the fire investigator, me, =
and the landlord's agent she will never burn a candle again.  I spent =
most of the last four hours comforting her. She has an emotional =
mountain to climb and has friends and a daddy who love her to help her =
climb it. I have a smaller, easier mountain to climb in the weeks ahead, =
paying -- with her help of course -- for the damages to the apartment. =
Her 18th birthday is next month and I and her boyfriend are planning a =
surprise party for her. I am grateful for family, friends, and =
acquaintances from whose strength, love, and friendship I draw for my =
challenges. Thank you, everyone.
David Addleton
vocate atque non vocate deus aderit
http://dfaddleton.home.mindspring.com