[at-l] ANWR (Warming)

On 10 Feb 2002 at 16:44, Clark Wright wrote:

> I reckon my point is a perhaps too fatalistic one; if we are doomed to
> die out anyway, or at least to have the earth as we know it drastically
> change over long time periods, then it boils down to only an issue of
> timing, perhaps - how long can we stave off the inevitable, and how long
> can we hold off inevitable changes to preserve [temporarily] that which
> we like and stave off that which we don't?

I believe it was you who said that "guilt" was a human thing,
and indeed I would agree.  And I'd also posit that it's not entirely
a bad thing.

There may not be much we can do about a strike by a large
asteroid or meteorite, but against our own stupidity, it seems
the noble thing to is at least sound the warnings.

As opposed to the dinosaurs, we may, if we're lucky, have a
bit more control over our long-term survival.  That is
admittedly an optimistic view of things.

If Osama's gang has nukes, all bets are off.

rafe b
aka terrapin