[at-l] New Poles test!! New personal best! And a failure

So it was a beautiful day and I went hiking.

I wanted to try to get in tune with my new Lekis, and decided
to go back to Umstead Park (NC state park in Raleigh) to do
it.  I hadn't been there for at least 6 months.

I had forgotten that those are real trails, with real ups and
downs, rocks, roots, everything.  But that's *good* news!!
;-)  The little free map rated the trails I took as
*moderate.*  Works for me.

So I didn't get started until exactly noon - really.  And,
they close at 6 PM in the winter.  And, I *really* wanted to
try for 12 miles.  Those of you who've heard me babble know
that just a mere few years ago, 4 miles on the flat was out of
the question.  But I was feeling good, and had my poles, and
had my last week trip on the AT under my belt.  I *reeeeally*
wanted to go for it.

I was linking two trails together (that are linked by a small
spur in the middle of the park) and adding a bit in the middle
to get 12 miles.  Each trail has a big loop, harder and longer
on one side.  At least that's what the map says.  And I
believed it.  I'd hiked these trails before, but not
together.  It meant hiking from one end of the park to the
other and back, before they closed.

My feeling was to *go for it* and see how I was doing by
3:00.  If I was struggling, I could always cut it short and
head back.  I decided to do the *harder/longer* half of each
loop on my way out.  If I could make the other end before
3:30, I figured I was okay because coming back would be
shorter/easier.  Yeah, right.

My mind was on the poles.  They were great.  I had used poles
on the greenway last week and this week, swinging them forward
alternately, about every 3 steps.  That was fun but didn't
feel especially productive.  This time, I tried doing a pole
forward with the alternate foot every time, thinking it would
drive me crazy.  It didn't.  I got in a rhythm.

Just as I was getting started, I noticed my new GoLite parka
falling out of my rucksack.  Yikes.  As I took the rucksack
off, everything else fell out, too.  I had left it unzipped
when leaving the facilities.  Duh.  Zip.  Onward.

Poles, poles, poles.  It wasn't hard, really.  And I noticed a
lot about what I was doing.  Like, the poles normally don't
swing out ahead of me.  They come only as far forward as the
opposite foot and get planted about the same time as the
foot.  Then, the pole and the foot push me off as I sail
forward over them to plant the other foot and it's opposing
pole.  Just like have 4 legs, kinda.  Very relaxed.  And I
don't really even have to lift the poles, usually.  They just
*fall* forward.  Gravity swings them.  Very relaxed.  Not
work.

Nimblewill Nomad gave me a lesson in how to adjust the length
of poles and hold them at the GA Ruck.  I just forgot to ask
how you actually *walk* with them! LOL   When I got my new
Lekis, they came with instructions that contradicted
everything Nimblewill said.  Of course, Nimblewill
contradicted popular pole philosophy (and Leki).

Leki says, adjust to where your arm is at 90*.  Nimblewill
says, lower.  More degrees.  More relaxed.  Leki says readjust
longer on downs and shorter on ups.  Nimblewill says leave the
adjustment the same all the time.  Nimblewill wins.

I can see that 90* would be more work, and using the poles the
way I am, they are almost always planted right where a foot
is, so they don't need to be longer or shorter.  Of course, if
I have to *pole* myself up or down a sustained steep incline
someday, it might be worth a short-term readjustment.

Of course, when going up a steep place, I do reach out and
*pole* myself up.  And when going over a rough place (rocks
and roots) I tend to pole at will - or, just lift them up and
hop, hop, hop and then get back to a rhythm on smoother
ground.  Poling down steep places is like poling up in reverse
- I reach out and lean on them to help keep stability.  But
those times are brief, at least on this trail.  I walk on.

The over all effect is - I am faster and more sure footed with
poles.  Are they more work?  Not much.  Certainly worth it.
The sad news it that I am not exactly fleet of foot with
them.  (Well, I wasn't without them, either.)  But I am
definitely faster.  For someone as slow as me, that's good.
(And, btw, I don't care if you're slow and like it.  Slow is
great.  Have at it.  I want poles! LOL)

Close to midway on my hike I reach a stone bridge over a creek
(BIG creek!)  and have a flash back.  I my first *real* test
hike here - and I can remember getting to this bridge.  I was
*so* impressed.  And *so* tired.  I remember resting there,
taking my boots off to air my feet out, having lunch.  This
time when I reached it I decided it was about 2 miles from the
trail head, and I was less than 1/4 of the way for today.  The
first time, that was my midpoint.  BOY/girl have I come a long
way!! :-)  No need to dry my feet today.  Onward.

I continued onto the second trail, taking the harder part of
it's loop and continued *striving* to get far enough toward
the other end early enough that I could go all the way.  A
couple of times, I asked folks the time.  (Normally, don't
wear a watch.  Sometimes carry one just for hiking.)  I was
doing _fine_.  There sure were a lot of dogs (with walkers)
out there today.  Mostly leashed and controlled, but not all.

I continued to get more comfortable with and more amazed by
the poles.  I also was a little disgruntled that they weighed
in at more than I expected.  They were 21.3 oz. on the Post
Office scale.  With the Ti model, I thought they were supposed
to be 18.  I'll have to go back and check that.

Anyhoo,  I walked, and I walked, and I walked, and I enjoyed
the nice winter woods and the beautiful 50ies day with blue
sky and sun.  I stopped for snacks and water regularly but
kept the stops short - bundling up in a windbreaker when
stopping as appropriate - but had soon gotten down to just
light shirt and pants since I was PUMPING!! :-)  Felt good.

I got to the other end about 3:10.  That was GREAT!  And I
took my time with the restroom, fill up water bottles, walked
to the lake to have another snack, relaxed this time, filled
up water bottles, restroom.  And got headed back at 4:00.  I'm
thinking I musta have done 8 miles of the 12 already, and had
2 hours and 4 miles (estimated) to go back.  I feeling great,
I'm doing good.  Yeah, right.

I go whipping back down the last part of the trail, still very
much enjoying the woods, the poles and the day, and miss the
turn off onto the short part of the first loop (a jumping dog
and dog walker were at the junction and I just blew on by).
Fortunately, I recognized a turn in the trail after about 75
yds. and went back and got on the right trail.

By now, I'm thinking maybe I mis-calculated a little.  Maybe I
had done only 7 miles and had 5 to do to get back.  The
*short* side of the loop was dragging out quite a bit.  But, I
chugged on.  The poles were second nature by now and very
gratefully appreciated.

I was really pushing, thinking I had cut it awfully close and
was having visions of rangers in various poses waiting by my
car when I returned to the parking lot.  I know they close the
big gate into the park at 6:00.  By now, it's at least 5:00,
and I'm not sure how far I am from the *halfway* bridge.

I kept going, my snack breaks were short, I was a woman on a
mission.  What amazed me was here I am *sprinting* back 4 or 5
miles on a TRAIL, *after* having already done 7-8 miles.  Go
back and read about how a few years ago I couldn't do 4 miles
on the sidewalk....  Wow.  Even as I speeded along, I
marveled.

FINALLY, and I do mean finally, I got to the
just-over-half-way back bridge.  Stopped for a very quick
snack and water.  Moved on.

By now, it is sunset, and I am used to these light changes.
I've been leaving work for the last couple weeks between 5:00
and 5:30 and walking home on the greenway trail.  I can tell
it is getting a leetle *too* close to 6:00.  I walk.  I'm
walking fast, and I've been walking fast ever since I started
back from the other end.

And I walk and walk and walk.  Funny, this *short* side of the
loop also seems longer than I remember it.  I walk...  Well,
you get the point.  Finally, I notice a guy who seems to be
starting to hang something (a hammock?) just off the trail.
If so, he's totally illegal.  I ask the time.  He says 2
minutes to 6.  Yikes.  I haven't even gotten to the big foot
bridge across the creek.  I keep moving.  No more breaks now.

I push, and he comes blowing by me, across the bridge ahead of
me and straight up the hill across the switch back.  I
follow.  I know I have *at least* 15 minutes more to go.  I
push.  I'm breathing hard now.  Did I mention I'm pushing
here?

Along in this section it start's getting dark.  I mean tough
to see the trail dark.  It must be 6:15.  I'm grateful I have
been hiking at dusk and after dark because the practice really
helps.  I continue to push.  This section has gotten longer,
too.  At least 15 minutes has passed and I know I'm not
there.  I start thinking about the fact that I'm carrying my
10 essentials.  If something happens....  You know.  I'm
walking fast, and it's dark.

Finally, I pass the shelter at the trail head and head
directly to my car, do not pass go nor go to the restroom.  My
car is waiting patiently.  (I think it's asleep.)  Just as I
am doing the last 25 yards in the parking lot, a big, white
pickup comes in and heads for me.  At least I won't have to go
roust the ranger from his home! Hehe.

I'm fully ready and willing to take my medicine.  I am ticked
off with myself for being so cavalier about going for *my* 12
miles when I'm on *their* clock.  And, for thinking I had done
the hard loops so I could do coming back in just 2 hours.

I mean, I am no paragon (that's another subject) but I do feel
that I can be the kind of person who respects that these guys
have a job to do - and not play fast and loose with the rules
they have to live by, and their time when they should be able
to shut things up and go home.  I mean, it's their job to be
concerned about and try to help (or control) bozos like me.

This guy is young and very polite.  He calls me "ma'am" and
tells me the park has been closed (looking at his watch) for
25 minutes.  I apologize.  Sincerely.  I am grateful there is
not some kind of ticket/fine thingie on my car.  I am grateful
I will not have to face a locked gate and go looking for a
ranger.  I am grateful he said 25 minutes (which was accurate)
and didn't make me look unnecessarily worse by rounding it up
to half an hour (a usual practice, and one I abhor).  He says
I should be packing up to leave.  I say I am ready to go.  He
says he will meet me at the gate.

We go.  He is turning other cars away with his blinking lights
when I get there.  I turn on the heat because I didn't take
the time to get another layer on when I got in the car.

Afterthoughts:

I expect some of you laugh at my desire to meet the park
closing deadline.  I think people (and their jobs) deserve
respect.

Some of you may think I am overplaying my experience of
overestimating my abilities / underestimating the trail.  I
think this was a great lesson.  I can see that the ability to
estimate and gauge what I am doing/need to do can be very
useful nigh unto important when I'm out there on more remote
trails, or thruhiking.

On the other hand.  I DID 12 MILES!!  Of trail.  In 6 hours
and 25 minutes.  And I felt GOOD.  I even really rushed the
LAST 5 miles.  Whoa.  I didn't crash, I didn't get weak or
tired (got out of breath a few times, especially when I
followed that guy cutting across the switchback).  Yes, I know
not to cut across switchbacks, and make a point of not doing
it.  I felt this was an exception.

This will go down in my personal history as a fondly
remembered milestone, with a few chuckles and a little chagrin
mixed in for spice.

And, the poles are a *good thing.*  On hind sight, I think I
didn't need (wouldn't do it again) to spend the extra $35 to
get the TIs.  Last years Lekis on sale would have been just
fine and not that different.  Also, these have this little
*glove* thingie instead of straps and although I can see some
advantages, I'm not sure I wouldn't be happier with just
straps.

And when I got to the Waffle House for a refuel?  My old, worn
WalMart fleece was missing from the rucksack.  A victim of the
unzipped error, I deduce.  Glad it wasn't the GoLite parka.
Guess it's time to go shopping for fleece on sale. :-)

Once again, thanks for reading.  It's been fun!

Delita <--  Tired but happy.  Planning another overnight now.
;-)

--
Delita Wright
Chapel Hill, NC