[at-l] New Member Introduction-Trailwind

Dennis, your story touched so many chords with my own situation, I don't
know where to start, so I'll just keep in short and get to the bottom
line.  If you start this journey, it will change you forever - so warn
your wife and kids and GO FOR IT!  I didn't have the luxury of a layoff,
or anything like that.  I just plain decided I was burning out,
approached my partners expecting to be asked to resign, but got support
to take a 6 month leave of absence, and so I ended up taking 6 months
off out of an [outwardly appearing] very successful environmental law
career, at the ripe old age of 44, with a [very loving and
understanding!!] wife and 2 young kids [one of whom was in utero while I
was in the woods!!!], and relied on my earlier background of scouting
[Eagle/OA] as a teen, plus 20 years of technical rock climbing and
hiking experience after that, plus a stint as owner of an outdoor
sporting goods store that I started up, plus a side love affair with
east coast semi-pro beach volleyball tournaments, plus a side career
officiating NCAA volleyball, all of which had kind of gone into
remission for the past decade in lieu of increasing legal career demands
[how's that for a combination?] . . . while there were plenty of rocks
here and there along the way in terms of dealing with family and friends
[fancy that, the Trail as allegory for life!], I wouldn't trade a minute
of last year on the Trail for anything in the world!

Forwarned is forearmed - but get your butt out there this spring, and
prepare to never be the same again! :)

Hike on,

Clark Wright
[thru-thinker]