[at-l] can stove

I've been working on my new mess kit/ can stove project today (Saturday)
and all in all I'm very please. Someone suggested the grease pot idea as
a cook pot and I like that idea very well indeed. It looks like a great
solo pot. I removed the plastic knob off the lid and replaced it will one
I made from a bit of balsa wood I had left over from another project. It
is tiny by comparison. I worry that it may tend to punch a hole in the
cozy I made for the new pot. I plan to pack the cook kit inside the cozy
so I will use the space between the lid and the cozy to stove other
items. I was thinking that the pot lifter and some matches would fit very
nicely in this space. I have also considered putting a foam "doughnut"
inside to protect against puncture but I think I'm going to use the area
to pack small items like matches during transport.

I made another coat hanger wire pot stand. I have not experimented enough
yet to satisfy me that the wire is not going to fail do to heat fatigue.
In the end I may need to try something else as a pot stand. All in all, I
am real happy with things at the moment. The new cook pot, can stove,
foil wind screen, pot stand and modified lifter (I saw about an inch off
it) all pack neatly into the cozy. The combined weight is 7 ounces. That
is almost a one pound reduction from what I used to carry.

I scribed a line inside the cook pot to indicate the level for 1,2 and 3
cups of water. The stove is scribed for one ounce of alcohol. My tests
indicate that I can boil 2 cups of water in about 4 minutes. In three
minutes the water is very hot but not exactly boiling. In 4 minutes there
is steam escaping form under the lid. In 5 minutes there is a rolling
boil. So far I get boiling water well before the fuel is expended. I'll
have to run more trials to see how close I can come to boiling water just
as the stove runs out of fuel.   Hopeful
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.