Re[2]: [at-l] Cellphones Not Required

"...insist on [using a cell phone and thus] driving while distracted..."

 An interesting thought. Have more people been injured or killed from people
 using cell phones while driving than have been saved from further injury by
 cell phone use on trails?

 I strongly suspect cell phones cause more injuries than they prevent -- if only
 because there are far more irresponsible drivers than hikers -- irresponsible
 or not.

 Since very few people die on the trail, with or without a cell phone, at best
 cell phones mostly only delay rescue or shorten the period of pain. An
 exception may be the medical doctor who attempted to climb Mt. Washington in
 winter and bad weather and with inadequate gear. His cell phone saved his life,
 most likely.

 But even this may be a doubtful good. Had he died, his death might have
 deterred other hikers who attempt a very dangerous mountain with inadequate
 gear and training.

 If I remember right, the doc's cell phone was virtually out of batteries from
 repeated attempts to to reach rescue teams in the notoriously poor cell phone
 reception on the mountain. It was mostly luck that resulted in his rescue --
 well, luck and the willingness of rescue teams to risk their lives to save
 his.

 JUst some random thoughts. I personally oppose the use of cell phones on the
 trail for the reasons RnR cites. They damage the sense of wildness that many of
 us seek in the woods and mountains. But I recognize that mine is a losing
 cause. If it's available, people will use it. Yes. Eventually, even nuclear
 bombs -- despite claims that the likelihood of "mutual destruction" prevents
 wars. Tell that to suicide bombers.

 Weary