From: "Dan N." <djnickerson@yahoo.com>
To: "AT List" <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Cellphones Not Required

"Be Prepared" - Boy Scout Motto

I don't think it means quite what it used to. So now,
being prepared requires a cell phone? I've been a
Scoutmaster, as well as having a son in scouts, and I
was a scout myself back in the 60's. I'm not putting
you down (Charles) for taking a cell phone on a scout
outing, if you think that it is really necessary for
safety sake or whatever. But I think it would be a
greater lesson to teach not only the scouts, but also
their parents, that perhaps learning to be more self
sufficient, and being prepared to handle emergencies,
without the use of such a device, would be far more
valuable a lesson to the scouts, and I believe that is
what the mission of scouting was supposed to be. One
can choose to rely on such devices, or one can choose
to develop skills and plans to deal with possible
situations. It is kin to the gun discussion, although
the phone is legal. Again, no offense intended. I
sometimes think we are not so well served by some of
these modern conveniences. BTW, I don't have a cell
phone, never have, but I do think they can serve a
useful purpose. FWIW.

Dan (still lurking, mostly)