[at-l] Budget Backpacking on the AT

Your story reminds me of my Scouting days. All the kids in our troop were
from the local farms and none had much money. Money was not an issue,
however. I recall that the old Scout Manual told how to make most of our
gear: ruck sacks, pack frames, cook stoves, ponchos, coffee can mess
kits, etc. Most of us used wool blankets that our fathers had brought
home from WW2. We rolled our gear into a horse collar, just as you
described. My uncle had a picture of some of us at the beginning of a
weekend overnight trip. He later commented that we looked like a bunch of
ragtag Confederate soldiers with our floppy hats, pants tucked into our
socks, sheath knives (big enough to kill dinosaurs and such), walking
sticks that were head high and of course our bed rolls.

I still have the old army surplus canteen my Dad go me. It is one of the
most valued things I own. Hopeful
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.