[at-l] Budget Backpacking on the AT

> So just wondering anyone else got any experience at
> nonconventional, budget back packing?

I don't know if this qualifies, but as teenagers, we spent a couple of
summers playing our own version of 'survivor'.  My friend's aunt owned a
large tract of land in Alabama near Montgomery.  We'd establish ground rules
and go camping.  Since we were all broke, and barely afforded the gas for my
friends' old clunker, there wasn't any real gear.  We drank unfiltered
water, ate what we could forage, catch, or shoot, and generally lived like
savages.  We had no tents, no bags, no packs.  Cooking gear was limited to
mom's throw always.  Our parents didn't mind, since we were out of their
hair and not causing anybody any trouble.  The longest we made it was the
summer of 1985:  38 days.

Ah, those were the days!

Shane