From: "Ron Martino" <yumitori@montana.com>
To: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 7:52 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] altimeter

> I use a Brunton Sherpa. Not a watch, but on a laynard. barometer
> w/trend, altimeter, time, temp, anonemeter(sp?), wind chill all for 2
> oz. Kestrel makes something similar with more onboard toys, but I
> haven't seen it in person yet.
>
> www.brunton.com www.nkhome.com
>
> Gearfully yours, -Rob

I've been browsing the various watches and handheld toys for measuring
altitude, temperature, etc. One thing I've noticed - the temperature
range always seems to run way high. Who needs a measure up to 158*F, for
crying out loud? Several only go down to -4*F! It gets colder than that
here in town sometimes; nevermind up in the hills. Heck, REI's little
compass pull thermometer has a more useful range than that.

Now I know living in Montana, which some folks consider just shy of the
Arctic Circle, but it's really not that bad usually. I would like to
know how bad the February cold snap gets, though, and -4* isn't going to
cut it...

Ron
--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com