[at-l] RE: Guns, spray, etc - looking at the options.

> year.  Not for nothing, but why wouldn't you just
> use pepper spray, which is
> legal?

That's an option.  Another option is something that makes a
loud noise, like firecrackers.

> Even if you used your gun in self defense
> of a griz or another person
> you'd be likely to get heavily fine and/or sent
> to jail, assuming you came
> clean and notified the authorities.

That depends.  If you shoot the bear in legitimate self
defense, you won't suffer a penalty for that.  You will,
however, face the firearms charges.

> Me, I figure I have two of three options hiking
> through griz country.  One,
> hike with three/four or more (I've never heard of
> an attack), two, hike alone
> and hope for the best (being carefully aware of
> my surroundings and accepting
> fate) and three, carry pepper spray (which I'm
> not likely to buy).

Hiking in a group is a good protection.  Not just from the
'safety in numbers' rule, but think about this:  If you are
in a party of five, and a big critter eats one of your
party, there's only a 20% chance that it will be you.  ;)

The biggest problem with the spray is that you can't take it
on an airplane - checked or carry on - so if you fly, you'll
have to buy it when you arrive - and leave it when you
return home.

Against human targets, I've found that the mist (as opposed
to the stream or foam types) are most effective since they
also work on the respiratory system - but the mist type is
also the most susceptible to windy conditions.

For all the grief it might get me, have you considered a
spear that locks onto you hiking pole?

Having spent lots of time in Grizzly country, I'd reccomend
a firearm, but we've already determined that that is a
personal choice.

Barring that, carry the spray - and buy the stuff made for
bears.  (Works against big cats too, or so I hear...)

Shane