[at-l] Handguns on the AT

At 01:01 PM 1/30/02 -0500, Alexis Lee Acken wrote:

>My intrest in handguns on the AT is how many women carry them?  How many
>solo women hikers?  Or do they carry pepper spray or anything else to make
>them feel safe?  After all, statistically, we're at much greater risk from
>crazy people out there.
Woman here.............solo hiker but alas, not on the AT which actually is
tons
safer than where I hike if you are staying in a group.  R is right about
groups.
Baltimore Jack is right that he never felt the need for one.  You are right
that
women are at greater risk.  80% of the attacks/murders on the Trail or in
the immediate
environs were women which would be an even worse statistic if corrected for
numbers of hikers/gender;  I'd like to here from women thrus too.