[at-l] Sawyer Extractor [was: Snake bite kits, was: "Weight/Use" efficiency

----- Original Message -----
From: Orange Bug <orangebug74@yahoo.com>
<at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: [at-l] Snake bite kits, was "Weight/Use" efficiency

> That situation makes a lot of sense. The first aid kit is divided up
> among a number of hikers/crew members. The casual solo hiker has too
> little individual risk to make a Sawyer Extractor a part of a routine
> first aid kit, but the medical officer for a group carries much more
> risk and responsibility.
SNIP

Actually we tend to have one person carry the kit, usually with some relief
on carrying other things.

> Have you had the opportunity to need it yet? Did it help in managing a
> sting or bite, or was it a distraction?
SNIP

Snake bite, no; sting, yes.  I wasn't the stingee and I had no blind-test
placebo for reference in order to judge effeteness.  However, it was easy to
uses and did extract juices, which could have removed some of the venom, or
whatever a stinging insect injects.  It was a classic case -- bee sting with
stinger still in place, in a nice flat place.

> BTW, are you Konnarock crew? I got my first application form for work
> crew in the mail this week. It looks intriguing.
SNIP

I have been on Konnarock a number of times in addition to doing weeks of
club-work-along, with them and Mid-Atlantic.

Chainsaw