[at-l] Re: Sawyer Extractor [was: Snake bite kits, was: "Weight/Use" efficiency

That was the idea, one central first aid kit, while someone else
carries food, shelter or other means to spread the weight around.

As I understand it, the Sawyer extractor was designed with stings in
mind, and snake bites have followed as a consideration. I'm not clear
that it is considered particularly effective, but that it is much
better than cutting and sucking (usually infecting) the fang wound.
Envenomation varies among events, but it is always wise to assume
significant envenomation in any rattlesnake bite. Basic first aid is to
stabilize the wound, immobilize the extremity, decrease opportunity for
general circulation of the venom and get the dude to an emergency
room/ICU.

Bill...