[at-l] Trail Volunteers

In a message dated 1/28/02 2:41:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, ellen@clinic.net
writes:

> Most of the
> active members continue to be middle aged or older -- mostly older.
>
> I have no explanation for this phenomenon, other than to suggest that young
> people are into hiking and setting records -- and building careers and
> raising
> families. It's only later in life that most of us get into "giving back" to
> the
> trail that has given us so much joy.

   ***  I think it has something to do with having to do ditch digging in
your spare time. What the young ones don't realize is that even three days a
year would go very far.

     Today's problem is the contemporary need for better trailbeds in washed
out areas. With today's traffic, a good cribbed and switchbacked rebuild is
quite a task. I have six hills in Harriman I would like to completely redo.
The work required to do the needed job is Shenandoah level treadway
construction. I won't get into age-ism, but it's obvious that a younger crew
would be needed. This is the generation gap impasse we have reached in AT
maintenance.

    Cosmo's trip report is very familiar to me. Sounds like one of my hill
climbs carrying sacks of concrete for a sign post base. Somehow I think this
would be better with a crew of dedicated trail busters...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---