[at-l] Closest takeout point to NY City

> Palisades Parkway south of West Point.  I can't get a feel for what the
> trail looks like in that section, however, and how easy it would be to
> agree on a point where a hiker could meet up with a car coming from NYC.

There's a bunch of choices -- I guess it would depend a bit on what they're willing to handle in terms of eww de hiker (and I used that spelling on purpose ;).

The trail crosses the top of Bear Mountain, there's a road to the top for cars (off of Perkins Memorial Drive). You could also meet at the Bear Mountain lodge, Tiorati circle (it's a bit farther back).

The last two give you a chance to clean up a bit more.

If you really want to meet on the Palisades Parkway, there's an often crowded bookstore in the median very near where the trail crosses the parkway. There's a crowded little parking lot.

There's plenty of other places as well, and I'll bet skeeter has a few suggestions...

d.