[at-l] gun questions

Taking them in order, allowing for the concessions already made:

> Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that we concede the
> point that
> a gun carried by a hiker is actually being carried in such a way as to
> not actually heighten the danger to themselves and others.  I have a
> couple of logistics questions which would naturally follow.
>
> 1.  Where would you carry the gun?  If you carry it where it can be
> easily accessible, then wouldn't it be in view of others?  If
> it is not easilly accessible, then wouldn't its usefulness as
> protection against attack be severely limited?

Unless you are a Treasury Agent or an US Marshal, it must be in plain sight.
A gun carried in plain sight is not a "concealed weapon" and is legal in
_most_ states. To carry it concealed, you must have a concealed carry permit
from EACH STATE that you travel through. This is a non-trivial process
requiring a lengthy application process and background check, but if you are
not a convicted felon or under the care of a psychiatrist, it is usually
granted.

In order to be of any use for the purpose of self defense, it would have to
be  on your person, which means either a belt holster or a shoulder holster.
The belt one might work depending upon the model of the gun (see below), the
shoulder holster is out of the question.

> 2.  Where are the places on the trail where federal, state or
> local gun permits are necessary to carry a gun?  Are they legal in
> the national parks?  What cities require gun permits on the trail?

Now we are getting more complicated. Some Parks forbid the carrying of
weapons outright, concealed or not. Some highly recommend it (none of these
include any portion of the AT).

> 3.  How heavy must the gun be to be large enough to stop a  bear?
> Would a wounded bear be more likely to retreat, or would they be
> merely provoked into a more vicious attack?

If we are assuming that we are still on the AT, a .45 caliber automatic
should do the trick nicely. This is about the largest weapon that can be
comfortably carried for any length of time anyway. If we are talking, Brown,
Grizzly or Kodiak, a .457 Magnum would be much better. Where you are going
to put that monster is beyond me. Of course if I was that worried about
defending myself on the trail I would carry a Mossberg Deerslayer 12 gauge
with the short rifled barrel, open sights and 3" Magnum Saboted .50 caliber
slugs. That will knock even a grizzly off its feet...

Personally, when in that sort of situation, my policy is the same as it has
always been, RUN.

Lee I Joe

multipart/mixed
  application/ms-tnef