[at-l] gun questions

I have been reading the list about guns and thought I would point out
some things that have been over looked.

I am in Texas and have Concealed Handgun License.  It is becoming
accepted in most states because of the rigid laws we have.  At this time
I do not plan to carry it on the AT when I hike.

The concealing of the handgun would not be a problem.  Bagmasters have a
fanny pack that when worn in front has a gun holder behind the pack.  It
keeps the gun out of sight but is very easy to get to very quickly.

It is allowed to carry a handgun in a federal park  or forest.  It would
have to be shipped ahead in a bounce box, with out the shells, but the
law does not say you can not carry shells in a federal area.

Josh your statement maybe right in some cases as I can not answer for
all.  I spent over 10 years in the military and learn to take fairly
good care of my self.  I know karate and T'AI CHI plus many other ways
to do a lot of damage with out the use of the gun.  But since I live in
the Dallas area and we have a number of carjackings with people using
guns I want a way to protect my self.  If they just want the car and
leave me alone I give it to them.   Still a number of people have been
killed that did not resist, no witnesses I guess.  If I do I will go to
court for a hearing and every case so far the gun user has been found
justified in the use of force in a case like this.

One other think I will point out and that is that Carjackings have
dropped about 35 to 40 % since the CHL law went into effect.  Then every
time a case comes up where the carjacking person was shot they seem to
go down completely for a time.  They , the polls, have also shown that
many other crimes have gone down and mainly in cases of violent crimes
against mainly women.

The gun club where I go to shoot has many women that carry a handguns.
I have seen them shoot.  I would not to be  wish be some guy that would
try to rape one of these women not a healthy thing.

My two cents worth and I have no desire to changes anyone's mine.  This
is something that ever person must decide on their own.

Tom