[at-l] Friends amazed by hiking stories

I don't really know where to begin with this one, because some of what has
happened to me amazes even me.

Everyone seems impressed that I hiked east to west across Arizona through
the desert in July, but I like the desert and it wasn't that difficult for
me.

Wrestling a 7' alligator I inadvertently disturbed was probably my most
frightening moment.

I suppose the most amazing story is also the stupid story.  I was nine days
out trekking in Alaska I took off my pack and sat down to an amazing view
overlooking a river.  When I stood up, I managed to bump my pack, which fell
a hundred feet or so into the river, and was promptly washed away.  By the
time I made it down to the river, the pack was long gone.  After I had my
'holy $h1t' moment, I assessed my situation.  No food, no tent, no bag, no
filter, no nothing.  Fortunately I always practice the 'don't keep all your
eggs in one basket' method, and I did have my knife, tomahawk, one water
bottle, and my 'scram' or emergency kit in my fanny pack.  I remarked to
myself, "Well, I bet the ultra light guys never went this light."

Fortunately, the Alaskan wilderness can be a very kind place to be lost and
alone, and I did not starve or go thirsty.  Catching fish in a true
wilderness is easier than in areas where the fish know what you are.  I did
have a few cold nights, even with a fire, but even then I didn't freeze to
death.  All those hard core survival skills that I once thought I'd never
need sure came in handy.  Ten days later I came back, none the worse for
wear.  I even had fun.

Shane