[at-l] Organochlorine compounds made by soil organisms

Not only do microorganisms make those compounds, they can be trained to
remediate them as well.  We did a neat test project with the EPA several
years ago at one of our plant sites.  For years it was believed that all
halogenated organic contamination had to be pumped and surface treated as it
would kill the native groundwater microorganisms.  At the right
concentrations, the bugs can eat the stuff.  Ain't science cool (I'm a
chemist and, believe it or not, also an English major - should have said
"Aren't science cool").  I love these threads that let me talk shop and trail
and hobbies all at once.  Keep 'em coming.

Black&blue&microbiotic