[at-l] Ultralight Digital Cameras

I own the Nikon Coolpix 775, and have been using it on my hikes since early
October. It's a great camera, and I've coaxed some excellent images out of
it. It is sun-senstive however, and does easily overexpose shots if you're
not careful (causing a purple bleed in the sky). In deep forest / low light,
it takes wonderful shots, better than I can with 100 ASA slide film.

Battery life is long, but I'd worry about it being long enough on a thru.
After all, you'd only be able to recharge it in town. If you shut the camera
off between shots instead of leaving it in "sleep" mode, it actually seems to
eat more battery. Nevertheless, I can't go more than 3 days of 6 hours each
in "sleep" mode without the battery needing a recharge.

It's rugged and durable, as digital cameras go. And more lightweight than my
point-&-shoot Olympus Stylus, beats it by a few ounces, even with battery and
card loaded.

Cheers, Navigator