[at-l] Unemployment Thru

In a message dated 1/17/2002 9:50:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kahley7@ptd.net writes:

> Am I the only one that thinks collecting unemployment
> compensation while thruing is at worst fraud and at
> minimum sleazy?  I thought that money was meant to
> hold body and soul together while you looked for
> another job?

A couple years ago when I was working and saving money to hike the PCT, I had
a disagreement with my boss and was either laid off or fired (not sure which)
six weeks before my starting date.  Having never been in that position
before, I filed for unemployment.  Everything looked cool as I sought
employment according to the law.  I wouldn't be earning the money I had hope
to, but the $1500 I was entitled, prior to leaving,  would have got me up the
trail. Turns out my employer, once notified that I was seeking to collect,
informed the board that I quit, which I didn't. A hearing was set three days
before my departure date and my boss showed up with his lawyer son and we
both pleaded our cases.

I left for the PCT ontime, sought employment along the trail (keeping to and
according to the rules) and notified the board weekly of my employment status
until Cheryl informed me I lost my appeal.

Which one of us broke the law, or was being sleazy?

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---