Fwd: [at-l] Open Mike For Doyle

RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
>With that in mind I would vote to keep Warren's mike open even if he
>made a mistake. The man has AT tenure and deserves some leeway.

RnR -
That's the only reason he's not being shut off entirely. If I did something
like that, I'd never hold a mike again at a Gathering (not that I crave much
of that experience anyway).  He's being given far more leeway than you or I
would be given under the same circumstances.

>    I'm actually more startled by persons who would violate the free speech
>principals this nation fights over in order to be on the inside. "We're so
>righteous and pure that an attack gives us the excuse to dispense of the
>constitutional freedom of free speech we're killing over." This nation
>never stood for that, and I hope the Trail doesn't either...

Nor do I.  If you haven't noticed, I may often object to "what" you say -
but not generally to your right to say it.

He'll be given an opportunity to say whatever he wants - but not to a
captive audience.  It'll be to those who "choose" to listen to him.

Like many on this list, Warren has been a friend of mine for years even
though our political views are widely divergent.  I wouldn't hurt him as
either a friend or a fellow American by advocating muzzling him.  But
there's no reason for him to have unfettered access to a captive audience
that has no desire to listen to his political views.  Not even as the
organization's founder does he deserve that.  I don't have that kind of
access - nor do you - nor does any other member of the organization.
There's no reason for him to have it.

We'll talk more about this, I'm sure.

Walk softly,
Jim

PS - For Marty Fors - I hope to see you there.  If I screw this up you can
beat up on me - but you might have to stand in line to do it  :-)