[at-l] Deeper subjects - the Trail and Sept 11

At 02:53 AM 1/16/02 +0000, Jim and/or Ginny Owen wrote:
>I've found that the word "deeper", when used with respect to personal
>thought processes, is the refuge of those who believe without reason that
>their thought processes are superior to that of others
>:-))

Again we are in agreement Jim.  There is another sense to "deeper" though,
as in those who delve deeply into a subject.  This is the essence of most
graduate study and it is useful but as the process continues the field of
study narrows.  I.E. The historian starts with American History proceeds to
particular aspect thereof and eventually achieves status as the greatest
living authority on some small detail of history.  The problem with this
process is that if the depth of knowledge is not balanced by knowledge of
the overall context, "deep" can lead to "narrow" causing one to ignore (or
at least be oblivious of) other legitimate and equally important
information, ideas and facts, which as I think about it, brings us back to
your statement.

sAunTerer