[at-l] Deeper subjects - the Trail and Sept 11

--- Jim and/or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com> wrote:
> So - for those who want "deeper" thought about the Trail?  How
> about some thoughts about the effect of Sept 11 on the Trail
and the hikers  (whether thruhikers or otherwise)?

### I'll bite:
"The effect of the September 11 attacks on the United States of
America, to the Appalachian Trail and to throughhikers will
be...
nothing."

It's too heavy a load to put in your backpack. It won't feed
you; it won't get you down the trail; it won't get your water or
keep the rain off your head. (At the margin, comments will be
overheard about hitchhiking and some drivers willingness to
offer rides, but in fact (I believe) that will only substitute
for similar comments by those who rank hikers with the cast of
"Easy Rider.") So if it doesn't help you hike, fill your belly,
slake your thirst, or shield your back, it just doesn't count --
that's what I believe will be the impact of September 11, 2001,
by this year's NOBOs on September 11, 2002.

Perhaps a "why" would be a good supplemental part to your
question, too, Jim. So "Why do I think the events of September
11, 2001 will have minimal effects on throughhikers?" Granted
that both the 09/11 attack and a throughhike are major events,
but the 09/11 attack was a major event with minimal impact on
individuals, whereas a throughhike is a teeny, tiny event with a
*major* effect on individuals.

OK, well, there's my fodder.
Have at it, everyone.
Great question, Jim.