[at-l] male or female?

Datto,

I'm assuming you either know something for sure, or are taking something
for granted when you refer to Kelly as "Miss".  It has been a
longstanding wonderment of mine about who on this list is male or
female?  It is certainly not politically correct to assume such by the
indicated nickname alone.  It is kinda like the ole "Pat" routine on
Saturday Night Live.

Several years ago I placed a baby for adoption with a couple (male and
female type) whose first names were Pat and Lynn.  I'm embarrassed to
say that today I can't remember which one was which.  This is a feature
of trail nicknames that is both puzzling and, perhaps, helpful when you
read entries in trail journals at the shelters.  I've hiked for weeks on
end and read journal entries from the same person and was then
surprised, upon meeting them later, that they were not of the gender I
had previously supposed.  Maybe that's not a bad thing, security and
ettiquette wise.

Example:  Did you know that the Beverly Riley Parkway in Nashville, TN
is named after a man?