[at-l] Deeper subjects - the Trail and Sept 11

--- Sloetoe wrote:
> --- Jim and/or Ginny Owen wrote:
>> So - for those who want "deeper" thought about the
>> Trail?  How about some thoughts about the effect
>> of Sept 11 on the Trail and the hikers  (whether
>> thruhikers or otherwise)?
> ### I'll bite:
> "The effect of the September 11 attacks on the
> United States of America, to the Appalachian Trail
> and to throughhikers will be...
> nothing."

Interesting perspective, Sloetoe.  I had the opposite
thought myself.  To me, it seems natural that an event
of the magnitude of Sept. 11, especially one that
causes a lot of people to rethink their lives, would
inspire some hikers to "go for it", to not put off the
dream hike.  It could encourage them to challenge
themselves, their priorities, their willingness to
actually LIVE their lives rather than continue on in
rapid pursuit of the American dream and the hectic
pace that requires.  On the other hand, one could
argue that thruhikers are already more prone to this
type of thinking....

At the same time, I can see how others would cancel or
postpone plans like that to instead spend time with
their families.  I didn't think of the "zero effect"
option.

Sandpiper