Fwd: [at-l] Best Tent for Tru-Hike? ['03]

My comments below...

>From: "Jim and/or Ginny Owen" <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com>
>Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 01:47:09 +0000
>

>Sloetoe wrote:
>>### Next time Mara tells the story of having the moose step over
>>her occupied Nomad, ask her where she was camped.

Well Tom,  It was very apparent that I happened to camp in that moose's
usual morning path.  It didn't matter that I was on a nice wide beach and
there was plenty of room to go around my tent.  It wanted to travel by it's
usual path, and to do so, it stepped over my tent while I was in it.  And,
it wasn't too happy about it, either.

Had I realized the day before that it was a moose's usual trail, I could've
tented just 5 feet away and been fine.  Too many people had trampled the
footprints that would have been evident had I known to look for them.  Some
were still there when I thought to look for them in the morning.

>Didn't say they cared - just that they use the trails.  And some of them
>are
>not at all pleased to find those pesky humans underfoot when the trail is
>the easiest way to get where they want to go.  Ask the moose that let us
>know she wasn't pleased when we set up camp in her path to the lake in
>Maine.  Or the monster moose who didn't like us setting up in his path in
>Idaho (and we were in an impacted campsite at that).  Or the bear that ran
>over a friend - and took out his tent.  Or the guy who was helivaced from
>the PCT two summers ago when a deer tripped over his guyline and kicked him
>in the head. That'll end a thruhike real fast.
>
>>LNT for me, baby.
>
>LNT = stealth camping.  Not camping in the trail.

Gotta go with Jim on this one...

Mara
Stitches, GAME99