[at-l] trip report + some O.T. stuff <long>

Prelude:
We have friends who are so nervous and protective that they don't even
let their son leave the room with a candy cane in his mouth for fear of
a horrible candy cane impalement a la faces of death.  Young Master
padded-cell asked kind Santa for a B-B gun this year.  Did I mention
that our friends only have one child?   Well, Oliver, (that's his name)
usually gets what he wants and especially when it's a
find-out-if-Santa-is-real test.  So, without further adieu, please
welcome the new, 2001 edition of the 1938 Daisy Red Ryder BB gun with
Lever cocking spring air action, Cross bolt trigger block safety,
Hardwood stock with Lariat logo, Saddle ring with a leather strap, and a
whole shitload of BB's just itching to put someone's eye out.
Even though Oliver's Mom and Pop aren't great at saying "No", they know
when they are in over their heads, so they called us for help.  "We want
to make sure Oliver doesn't kill the dog or something and that he knows
how to be safe" Mom tells me.  "Do you know anything about Guns?"  "Yes"
I say, "why don't we meet on the 30th and go down to our family farm for
a bit of hiking and some lessons on gun safety and target practice?"
"Oh, that would be wonderful!" says Mom.
Oliver is the type of kid who might, say, usurp a bottom bunk.  He is
aged ten years and is fully aware of every fact ever known to man
throughout history, but otherwise a pretty good kid who just needs a
grownup to tell him "No!  Bad Oliver" a few times.
=20
That was Christmas Day and today we had our adventure.....
=20
We met at my house at 10:00 a.m. and finished putting people, dogs,
coats, and food into the car and were there at noon (I was ready on
time, it's just a long drive)
We started by explaining to our friends that in those parts, folks
usually just keep their Klan robes in the car with them "Just in case"
and suggested that they rub dirt on their license plate to disguise the
fact that it's from California.
Then we bounced up the hill for a nice warm up hike.  The Farm is 387
acres in southern Indiana.  Indiana does have hills, despite what I have
stated publicly to the contrary.  We gained 150ft. of elevation in about
a mile.  After that little jaunt, I took Oliver and Carmen back with me
to start a fire in the ring and set up stoves, food, supplies, etc. for
lunch.  On the walk back, Oliver was asking me if his BB gun could kill
a Deer, Cow, Horse, Squirrel, Bird, etc. so we began lessons one and two
of gun handling and safety:  never point the business end of your gun at
anything unless you intend to kill it dead and gone forever,  and If you
intend to kill something with your gun, make sure that both you and your
gun are up to the task.
=20
Lunch consisted of hot cocoa, hot dogs, hot chili, hot humus-pita
thingies, apples, yogurt, and weary's hot bread on a stick.  It was
tasty and I got full and sleepy, but it was 18 degrees and my little
girls were getting cold so it was time to start moving again.  I had
some fences to check and a couple of gates to put new locks on so I took
the kiddies with me.  On the way around the fence row, close to the old
civil war cemetery and the road, we found the carcass of a young doe.
She had obviously been shot from the road by some dumbass hick who got
scared and didn't track her down.  Her trail was easy to follow and she
was only 200 yrds. away from the road.  So began re-enforcement of
lesson two and start of lesson three:  Are you up to the task of really
killing something so pretty?  Would your gun be enough to kill her?
and  Learn how to hunt (not shoot, but hunt) before you decide to kill
something and once you've decided, and can actually find an animal to
kill, know how to kill it with the first shot. =20
=20
As we worked on that, we made our way back to the fire and began to work
on gun handling, when to load, when to clean, when to safe, when to
shoot, etc.  A few minutes and about 10 shots for me to sight the gun
and Oliver got his first shot at the target.  He missed, but just
barely.  After about two dozen rounds, he was able to put a hole within
10 inches of where he was aiming from about 8 meters.
By that time, Oliver's brain was full to capacity with the awesome
responsibility of his new tool (used to be a toy) and his ability to
bring sudden death to a paper target.  It was time to hike again!
=20
This time, we spent a bit more time and took a loop that started in a
creek bed, wound it's way up and down some ravines, and along the back
fence to the top of the biggest hill, then down to camp via the first
trail we had taken earlier in the day.  By the time we got back, Jade
(almost 5 yrs. old and wearing out quickly) was riding Papa, Carmen was
in her 'silent because she's thinking hard' mode,  Oliver was running
all sorts of ill gotten facts by me for verification, and Susan was
starting to get cold toes.  Oliver's Mom and Dad were most pleased with
the whole day and so was I.
=20
We packed up the rest of the stuff, made a last triple check of the fire
pit, poured some more water on it, locked up the cabin, and headed for
home.
=20
On the way home, Carmen finally cut loose with her questions.  I'll
include a couple as representative samples;  Papa?  Yep?  Why didn't the
hunter go get the deer and use her meat and fur, and why did he just
leave her there, and isn't she going to be part of the circle of life
now and isn't that ok, and when YOU hunt deer, do you just leave them
like that????   and,  When you taught me how to shoot the gun, you
didn't tell me all of the things you told Oliver,  is that because I'm
safer than him?
=20
Carmen is two years younger than Oliver, and Jade is  five years
younger.  Both are better shots and better hikers.  Both know how to
close their mouths and listen to the world breathe.  I told them all day
how proud I was of them and how cool they both are.  I can't think of
better kids have.  I'm one lucky son of a .......
=20
=20
-r
=20