[at-l] Hello everybody! AT-L Noobe

In a message dated 12/29/01 2:46:20 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
kahley7@ptd.net writes:

> Red, pass this man a smashmellow

Smashmellow passed - after I thaw it out!

I took Cassy (my five yr old hiker chick, for those who don't know that) and
headed up to Iron Mtn Gap today.  I was iffy about taking her, given that she
doesn't have ALL the special hiker gear that could make hiking in the cold
fun.  But I did the best I could with what we had, and she *did* have a
decent fleece jacket and a nice rain jacket that seconded as a wind breaker.
We hit the Trail and warmed up pretty quick.  Iron Mt Gap south towards
Cherry Gap Shelter is a pretty easy stretch of Trail by comparison to most,
so we had a pleasant walk in the woods.  We finally stopped for a snack and
who should come walking up but Sloetoe :)  We visited briefly (briefly
because stopping entailed freezing, pretty much <g>) gave him what little
water we had and went our separate ways.

I must admit that I was a bit concerned about hunters.  We met two in the
parking lot, getting ready to go north up the Trail.  That reminded me that
we had no bright orange to wear.  (although they were well prepared,
obviously knew what they were doing, and clearly told me not to worry, that
the hunters all knew where the Trail was and didn't take pot shots at
anything moving on it <g>).  As we stepped on the Trail a gunshot rang out.
Not close enough to be aimed at us, but given the recent tragedy we debated,
it still made me worry a bit.  (Sloetoe was wearing a bright orange toboggan,
and I wish we had been too, just for peace of mind).

Cas stopped to look at (it seemed like) every acorn, tree root, rock or plant
that we passed.  (There were lots of acorns - can we say "SLOOOOOOWWWWW
pace?).  I had an immediate wish that I owned a "flora and fauna" type book
to carry, as I couldn't answer most of her questions about what type of
(tree/bush/plant/etc) we passed.  I guess the fact that I could answer the
first question made her think I knew everything :)  I rue the day when she
realizes I don't have all the answers.

Anyway - SHE wanted to make it to the shelter, but *I* knew I wasn't
prepared, at our pace, to get that far and make it back before dark or snow
hit us.  I wish now I had come equipped for more than just a little jaunt
down the Trail, as it would have made her very proud to make the shelter.
Next time I'll plan better.

Even though it was cold, and there are no views to speak of on that stretch,
it was wonderful.  We talked about the blazes, and thru hiking, we saw some
unusually shaped trees, and we talked about what would happen if I broke my
leg while we were hiking.  (She told me she would just follow the blazes back
to the road and get help for me . . . . OUCH, thinking about a five yr old
doing that - but wow, that she even thought about it!)  We talked about Trail
names, and she got a big kick when she asked what the funniest Trail name was
that I had heard, and I told her about meeting "Sir Pee a Lot" :)  We saw
some birds, and some tracks that we couldn't figure out, and got accosted by
two dogs (Sloetoe was there at that point, I asked if he would defend us, and
he said "No, I'll run" <g> but actually his calmness helped Cassy just giggle
when the dogs tried to steal her snacks.)

Anyways - a long post for a short trip - but wow - it was great to be on the
Trail, and great to see her determination to hike, and her curiosity about
everything.  It was nice - but unexpected, as I had not a clue exactly where
he'd be - to run into Toey.  If I had really thought we'd see him, I might
have brought treats :)

So - to make a long story short - (ha! too late, huh?) I have a slightly
chilled but very tasty smashmellow ;)

The Redhead

multipart/alternative
  text/html