[at-l] Closing this file....

   First off, thanx to Kahley for her recent letter; lots of good points
there.

   Second, to Jim Owen:  Sure hope your latest blast of wind has eased your
intestinal distress.  I really hope it gave you pleasure, but you're
stinking up an empty house, Jim.  I really don't care anymore, and more to
the point, unless you've missed a few things, neither does anyone else.
This conversation arose out of an attempt on my part to restore a certain
level of tact and decorum to a list that seemed to be growing ever-more
contentious.  I pointed out to Jim that the level and tome of the vast
majority of his posts, for years, has been badgering, corrective, strident,
and bullying.  Needless to say, my pointing out these facts that are surely
apparent to anyone who has spent more than 3 days on this list resulted in a
hissy fit of titanic proportions on his part. Sorry.  Sometimes, the truth
can be distressing.

   I also find it remarkable that considering Jim's inflated feeling of
self-importance and seniority on this list, it's rather remarkable that in
the 48-odd hours since this delightful dialogue has been going on, NOT ONE
person has come forward to offer support, defense, or vindication of Jim's
past behavior and postings on the list. Could it possibly be that I am not
the only one who finds Jim's tone condescending and unpleasant?  Then again,
there's another reason most folks want nothing to do with this discussion:
I suspect it's  primarily due to the fact that like myself, most folks wish
this whole thing would go away and we could move on to more constructive
discussion.  Oddly enough, this was the entire point of my posts---the fact
is that most folks don't come to the list for this sort of thing, most folks
find it unpleasant reading, and most folks want nothing to do with it.
Well, I couldn't agree with 'em more, so instead of dignifying Jim's latest
letter with any sort of response, I'm going to take some of his advice.  In
addition to splenetic rage, and foul-mouthed suggestions that would shame
any well brought up nine-year old, he did offer one gem:  "You've got a
delete key just like everyone else.  Use it..."

    Magnificent suggestion, Jim.  As far as I'm concerned, and out of
deference to the hundreds of folks who are as sick of this as I am, I have
no further interest in pursuing this discussion, Jim.  I suggest you
consider taking the same position.

   Lastly, tho, I must respond to one of Jim's more childish remarks, in
which he accused me making points here and then running off to go hang out
on another list or other sites.  Boy, has he got it wrong.  The fact of the
matter is, as I've made it clear to many of the folks on this list, I spend
MOST of my time on other lists, and very little time here, for two main
reasons:  First of all, I'm more interested in devoting time to sites that
spend the majority of their time in dealing with nuts and bolts, meat and
potatoes advice, Q&A, etc., in other words, sites whose primary purpose is
aiding and assisting prospective thru-hikers.  Regrettably, the percentage
of time on at-l that is devoted to this sort of material is all too often,
minimal.   And secondly, one of the reasons I spend little time here is that
all too often, the list is dominated by a handful of strident voices who
feel that their seniority on the list, or the frequency of their
contributions, gives them the right to say anything they damned please.
This frequently leads to a level of discourse that quite frankly, is beneath
me.  In recent weeks (excuse me, recent hours) we've seen posts degenerate
to a schoolyard----no, barnyard level.  I mean, for heaven's sake, folks, it
doesn't take a great deal of wit to tell someone to either stick something
where the sun doesn't shine, or encouraging folks to remove their heads from
the same unfortunarte locale.  Are people PROUD to be speaking like this on
a public Forum?  Do they think this sort of language and discourse somehow
elevates or exalts their position?  Do they think it strengthens their other
comments, or improves their standing in the hiking community?

    I assure them this is not the case, and that when one's public writings
descend to the gutter level, it merely dishonors the author, and performs a
dis-service to the Forum in question.

    Once again, thanks to Kahley for a well-written letter, and thanks to
the many folks who've written me off-list with their comments and support.
I trust we can now move on to more worthwhile things, but in case there are
those who wish to continue this unfortunate---and needless---debate, well,
they'll have to do it without me.  Even if it wasn't 3 days to Christamas,
I'd still have more important things to do.

                 Best wishes to all for a great holiday season, and
                         a healthy, happy, and amicable New Year

                                         --Jack Tarlin
                                            Hanover, NH