[at-l] Gear List For January AT Hike

It is pretty easy to get dehydrated in winter with low humidity, frozen
water and exertion. It is common to make hypothermia worse by drinking cold
water - or even worse - eating snow.  It takes a lot of calories to warm up
water. Winter hiking without a stove and heat source is taking a pretty big
risk. I am certain that some can do it, but I don't know that anyone would
find it fun. You can even get into trouble by trying to drink water that is
too hot, possibly reheating the person too quickly and risking cardiac
irregularities.

It is a good idea to bring Jello and sugar, as this is a great way to get a
hypothermic person rehydrated and nourished quickly. I made the mistake of
leaving a 2 liter Platypus bag outside my sleeping bag last March in the
Smokies, leaving myself with 4 pounds of useless ice the next AM. If you
can keep water thawed and warm near you without allowing it to become a
heat sink, you can keep pretty well hydrated.

Winter hiking is wonderful, but certainly not a walk in the park as we have
the other seasons. I'd never go alone again as I know the early symptoms of
problems can be cognitive. I haven't figured out a good backup for a
chilled brain. I'd hope that anyone deciding to winter hike alone would
bring a heat source and companion.

OrangeBug