[at-l] Gear List For January AT Hike

> You can even get into trouble by trying to drink water that is
> too hot, possibly reheating the person too quickly and risking cardiac
> irregularities.

this is interesting; I never knew that.  What's too hot??

> It is a good idea to bring Jello and sugar,

yum! I'll have to remember this.  I love hot jello!

> Smokies, leaving myself with 4 pounds of useless ice the next AM.

don't you hate that!  I've taken to warming up 2 qts of water and placing
them in the bag at night.  Not only does it keep your toes nice and toasty,
you have 98* water for breakfast!

> If you
> can keep water thawed and warm near you without allowing it to become a
> heat sink, you can keep pretty well hydrated.

My Gore-Tex jacked has a mesh pocket on the inside about chest high.  I
never really figured out why until last winter.  It's a perfect size and
location for a 1 qt nalgene bottle.  great for keeping the water warm.